For a young mother on the go, a breast pump can be a boon. It helps ensure that your baby gets all the benefits of that miracle drink, which breast milk is considered to be, even if you’re unable to breast-feed it. You can use a breast pump to collect and store your milk hygienically, for use as and when needed. Considering the variety of breast pumps available in the market, getting hold of the most suitable one is not really easy. One good way of doing so is to check out the top rated breast pumps for their features and reviews, and then opting for the one which seems most ideally suited for your needs.
Top 2 top rated breast pumps
Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set-Model
With the patented Medela 2-Phase Expression technology to boost efficiency, the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set-Model # 57081 seems to be the favorite of many a mom wanting not to deprive her baby of the benefits of her breast milk, no matter the circumstances. So whether you’re traveling or working, this breast pump is designed to be your partner in baby feeding.
- 2-Phase Expression technology delivers 18% more milk while double pumping
- Has adjustable control for speed and vacuum, enabling selection of the preferred setting
- Ease of switching between stimulation and expression through one-touch let-down button
- Motor is compact and can be easily carried around in the soft Medela breast pump bags, sold separately
- Offers multiple breastshield sizes, from which you can choose the right breastshield to help in optimal milk collection
- Compatible with all standard sized milk bottles
- Cooler set and soft bag need to be purchased separately, at extra expense
- Some moms have complained of pain while pumping
- Horns don’t always fit properly
- Automatic switching between 2 modes causes problems
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
You can go for the single or double breast option of the hospital-grade, dual-use Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump, 3.3 Pound, depending on your requirements. What’s more, you can customize it further with its fully adjustable program. This means you can simply choose the program that’s best suited for your body and let the pump merrily do its work.
- Suction is powerful and adjustable, with maximum suction strength of 300mmHg
- No-noise feature makes it an extremely quiet pump
- Equipped with let-down mode for ease of use
- Closed system of the pump ensures hygiene for mom and baby
- Comes with night light and timer, with digital controls on the pump
- Doesn’t come equipped with adaptor
- No option to run on batteries or USB charger
- Collection kit is poor quality
- Construction isn’t very solid or sturdy
Both the breast pumps reviewed here are in the top rated category and hence choosing one of them can be tough. In our opinion, the features of Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump, 3.3 Pound, make it a more dependable option to go with. It’s customizable, in a hassle-free kind of manner, and provides powerful suction with ultimate comfort and hygiene. Easy to use, this breast pump may not be built to last (and why would you want it to last beyond your baby’s growing-up years?) but it is extremely efficient.
Better to be safe than sorry
When it comes to a product for your little one, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. So how can you ensure that your baby doesn’t lose out on the benefits of fresh breast milk while consuming pumped and stored milk? After all, the reason you’ve deciding to go for a breast pump is that you want your child to get all the goodness of breast milk, including enhanced immune system, improved brain development, better vision and good digestion.
While collection of breast milk through a pump follows a common principle, whatever the type or variety of pump, storage is an important criterion to keep the milk safe and protected. Whatever you do, don’t allow the milk to sit on a shelf for long. If you aren’t planning to use it immediately, refrigerating it is a good idea. You can safely refrigerate the milk for about 24 hours. If you’re planning to keep it for longer then go for freezing, but remember to put a date on it and also store it at the back of the freezer.
Boiling or microwaving the frozen milk is a total no-no if you want to retain its health benefits. And don’t add fresh milk to already refrigerated or frozen milk. Also, check out the breast pump bottles to ensure that they are made without Bisphenol A (BPA), which is a harmful chemical that was used at one point to make polycarbonate rigid and shatterproof. It’s better to use BPA-free plastic bottles than plastic milk bags for storage.
Types of breast pumps
The wide variety of breast pumps are available nowadays ranges from small, lightweight and portable types, to midweight or even large, hospital grade ones. The hospital grade pumps are the fastest and most efficient of the lot but are expensive too, and are ideal for those who need to use a pump regularly and frequently. A good idea is to rent a hospital grade pump if your requirement is for a large and efficient one. You’ll also find pumps distinguished by their operation – manual, electric or battery operated. Then there are single and dual breast pumps, which, as their names suggest, are suitable for pumping one or both breasts simultaneously. Hands-free pumps are also available as an option these days, and are useful if you want to multi-task while pumping the milk.